View Single Post
Old 01-06-2018, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Default John looked coolly up at the great man, his fingers formed into a little steeple in front

John looked coolly up at the great man, his fingers formed into a little steeple in front
of him. "Yes?" he replied mildly, which took a little wind out of Mr. Scott's sails.
Mr. Scott rallied quickly, however. "Do you know who that was?" he bellowed. "What
the hell have you done?" The fat man was one of their better customers.
There was a slight sharpness to John's voice as he replied. "I'll tell you what I told him,
Mr. Scott. Don't raise your voice to me. If you want to speak to me, speak to me with
respect. I trust I merit a little more respect than that fat grasping little tyrant you treat
so well."
Mr. Scott stood, his mouth round with surprise, looking like a recently landed fish.
John got to his feet. "I haven't had a day off in a long time, Mr. Scott," he said drily. "I
think I'll take today!"
He picked up his briefcase and walked out of the office, with Mr. Scott still standing,
foolishly gulping for air. When John walked out into the open, he took a big breath of
fresh air. A quick thrill of freedom shot through him.
When he got to the party, he didn't know whether or not he any longer had a job.
Curiously, he found he wasn't terribly worried, which was strange to him.
Until the day before his life had been dedicated to building as much financial security
as possible. Now he realized the bulwark he had been building not only shut out his
wife it shut out freedom as well.
So, it was a subtly changed John who walked into the orgy with the beautiful Helen.
Normally, he would have been scared to death someone might find out where he'd been
and it might affect his business life. Now he didn't give a damn.