View Single Post
Old 01-20-2018, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Default ah, Cooke."

ah, Cooke."
"Call me May. They did, eh? Well, I have been known to do that sort of thing. Not
recently though. I've been kind of enjoying having this big old house all to myself."
Her visitor's face fell. "Oh. I was hoping... seeing I don't have much money right now...
I wanted to find a room right away. The hotel's pretty expensive. Well, thanks very
much anyway, Miss Cooke."
She turned to leave, but May touched her arm and turned her back around. "Hey, hold
on there. You'd make one hell of a salesman. I haven't said a definite 'no' yet. I was just
kind of indicating that I'd have to think about it. Here, sit down and have some coffee.
I baked some apple pie last night. Would you like a piece?"
"Oh, you don't have to do that." The young woman was smiling again, but she still
looked uncomfortable. May guessed she was not used to accepting favors from
strangers. Once the pie and coffee were in front of her, though, she ate heartily enough.
She didn't even object when May put a second wedge of pie on her plate.
May grinned. "Well, you've got a good appetite. That's something in your favor.
Cooking is kind of my hobby. I like to see folks enjoy their food, or my food." She felt
little tremors run up and down her spine as she studied the younger woman's
vulnerable beauty. She hadn't been intending to take in boarders again. She was making
enough on her painting and her trust fund these days to get by without that extra work.
But sharing her home with the young blonde might be a little different than just taking
on a boarder. Already May felt a personal interest in her visitor's welfare, and in her
compelling good looks. "What's your name?" she asked in a voice that was noticeably
softer.