View Single Post
Old 01-19-2018, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Default Chapter

Chapter

The caller waiting at the back door was the farthest thing from a jaded traveling
salesman that May could have imagined. It was a woman that was waiting for her, a
beautiful blonde who smiled shyly at May as she pushed open the screen door and
beckoned her inside. Pogo took his opportunity to run off before the door banged shut.
May was not entirely over her grumpiness at being disturbed for the second time that
morning, but curiosity made her strive to be civil. "Good morning. What can I do for
you?"
The young woman looked around the kitchen for a moment. May had a chance to
examine her modest gray suit and her white blouse that combined with her fragile
beauty to make her resemble an angel in disguise. She looked strangely out of place in a
California beach town where casual was the accepted mode of dress and manners. This
woman would have looked perfectly at home at a Scottish prayer meeting.
"You're not from around here, are you?" May prompted her.
"Uh... no... no, I'm from back east. Missouri!"
The words burst so suddenly from the mouth of the girl-woman that May felt sure she
was lying. This was probably another refugee from an unhappy home, job or love affair,
come in search of the good life in California. That was all right with May. She was
more interested in where the woman in gray was heading than where she had come
from. She nodded pleasantly, trying to get the woman to say more.
"They told me at the train station that you might be willing to rent me a room, Miss...