View Single Post
Old 01-21-2018, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Default myself a few extra hours sleep."

myself a few extra hours sleep."
The girl looked embarrassed. "I think you look very pretty," she murmured, then she
headed for the back door. "I left my suitcase in the driveway... just in case." She smiled
then, a real smile. May was entranced. She realized that must have been the way Lacey
had looked before trouble uprooted her and drove her to California.
May had to drive to a neighboring town that afternoon for some art supplies. She
invited Lacey to go along, but the girl begged off. "I never could sleep when I'm
traveling. I've got a lot to catch up on."
"Okay. See you, later. And welcome, Lacey. I'm glad you're here."
Lacey lay on top of the quilt on the big four-poster that was to be her new bed. For the
first time since she had left her husband's home, she felt she could relax. She was very
lucky, she knew, to have found a landlady as nice as May. Instinctively, she felt the
brunette was someone she could trust. Everything would be all right as long as May was
around.
She heard May's car pull out of the driveway. Then a wonderful lulling silence settled
over the old house. Only the occasional distant bark of a dog disturbed the restful
stillness. It took the girl several minutes to realize that at the base of that soothing quiet
was the steady reassuring sound of waves breaking on the nearby beach.
The blonde started to fall asleep, but, instead of sweet dreams, haunting memories
invaded her mind. She was reliving the last night she had spent at home... the night of
the Tupperware party at her friend Janie's house.